Market Wrap: Bitcoin Slumps to Lowest Level in Over a Month After Powell Affirms Hawkish Monetary Policy
Bitcoin Slumps After Fed Chair Affirms Hawkish Monetary Policy
This article originally appeared in Market Wrap, CoinDesk’s daily newsletter diving into what happened in today's crypto markets. Subscribe to get it in your inbox every day.
Bitcoin (BTC) dipped to its lowest price in over a month after U.S. Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell doubled down on restrictive monetary policy early Friday at the central bank’s Economic Symposium.
The largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization hit a low of $20,549 but is now trading around $20,666, down 4.3% over the past 24 hours and below the $21,000 perch BTC had occupied as investors waited for Powell’s much-anticipated speech in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
The Federal Open Market Committee’s decision whether to raise rates by 50 or 75 basis points at its next meeting in September will “depend on the totality of the incoming data and the evolving outlook,” Powell said, referring to the Fed's rate-setting committee.
Edward Moya, senior market analyst at Oanda, wrote in an email that traders will have to anticipate whether risk aversion will push bitcoin’s price down to the $20,000 level.
“Risky assets are struggling as Powell’s fight against inflation will remain aggressive, even as it will trigger an economic slowdown,” Moya wrote.
Most altcoins also fell following Powell’s speech, with FLOW the biggest loser, dropping 11% over the past 24 hours. Ether (ETH), the second-largest cryptocurrency by market cap after bitcoin, was down 8.5%.
The S&P 500 fell 3.25%, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq fell 3.8% as equity investors responded negatively to Powell’s remarks.
●Bitcoin (BTC): $20,671 −4.2%
●Ether (ETH): $1,563 −8.5%
●S&P 500 daily close: 4,057.68 −3.4%
●Gold: $1,750 per troy ounce −0.5%
●Ten-year Treasury yield daily close: 3.04% +0.009
Bitcoin, ether and gold prices are taken at approximately 4pm New York time. Bitcoin is the CoinDesk Bitcoin Price Index (XBX); Ether is the CoinDesk Ether Price Index (ETX); Gold is the COMEX spot price. Information about CoinDesk Indices can be found at coindesk.com/indices.
Federal Reserve’s Powell: Inflation Battle Not Yet Close to Finished
By Helene Braun
Restrictive monetary policy will likely be required for some time, Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell said in a long-awaited speech at the central bank’s annual economic symposium in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
“Restoring price stability will take some time and requires using our tools forcefully to bring demand and supply into better balance,” Powell said.
Bitcoin (BTC) was little changed after the Fed chair's speech, suggesting that Powell’s rather hawkish comments were largely already priced into markets. However, that later changed drastically.
"We expect a 75 basis point rate hike in September, and do not expect there to be a drastic effect on the markets should that come to pass, followed by successive rate hikes until inflation is reined in and the unemployment rate returns to a healthier number," Josh Olszewicz, head of research at digital asset fund manager Valkyrie Investments, wrote in an email immediately after the speech.
- Large Ether Traders Position for Volatility Spike as Merge Draws Near: Block traders are buying ether (ETH) strangles, which involves buying both bullish and bearish option contracts. Read more here.
- Synthetix's Founder Proposes Capping Token Supply at 300M: The inflationary model helped bootstrap the DeFi platform’s ecosystem and was no longer needed, founder Kain Warwick explained. Read more here.
- Algorithmic Stablecoin USDN Falls From Dollar Peg as Liquidity Slumps: The stablecoin is currently trading at 91 cents as speculation mounts over its sustainability. USDN is backed by the waves token (WAVES) and leverages the staking model of the Waves protocol’s underlying consensus algorithm. Read more here.
- Listen 🎧: Today’s "CoinDesk Markets Daily" podcast discusses the latest market movements and a look at a Silicon Valley artist’s take on NFTs.
- Coinbase Pledges to ‘Evaluate’ Forked Ethereum Tokens in Update to ‘Merge’ Policy: The crypto exchange is changing its tune – slightly – on its planned response to Ethereum’s biggest tech upgrade.
- Sell-Side Analysts Trim Targets for Bitcoin Miner Argo Blockchain: Earlier this week, Argo lowered its year-end hashrate outlook from 5 EH/s to 3.2 EH/s.
- Wife of Arrested Tornado Cash Developer Denies Russia Secret Service Links: Financial crime analysts at Kharon have connected Alexey Pertsev, who is currently in a Dutch prison awaiting trial on suspicion of facilitating money laundering via crypto protocols, to Russian espionage.
- Japan Looks at Corporate Crypto Tax Breaks to Entice Startups, local news outlet Yomiuri Reports: Two crypto lobby groups recently asked the government to reform crypto tax laws in the country, where investors can pay up to 55% on capital gains.
|Cosmos||ATOM||−9.6%||Smart Contract Platform|
|Loopring||LRC||−8.7%||Smart Contract Platform|
|Ethereum||ETH||−8.5%||Smart Contract Platform|
Sector classifications are provided via the Digital Asset Classification Standard (DACS), developed by CoinDesk Indices to provide a reliable, comprehensive and standardized classification system for digital assets. The CoinDesk 20 is a ranking of the largest digital assets by volume on trusted exchanges.