First Mover Americas: Ether Outperforms Bitcoin; CME BTC Futures Hit a Huge Discount to Spot Prices
- Price Point: Ether is up 2% on the day, continuing to outperform bitcoin. Data from Arcane Research shows that the current crypto bear market looks very similar to the 2018 bear market.
- Market Moves: After a big market plunge, CME bitcoin futures just traded at the largest discount to spot prices in at least 2 1/2 years, with August contracts set to expire this week. Comments by Fed Chair Jerome Powell at the U.S. central bank symposium in Wyoming on Friday could move markets.
- Chart of the Day: Bitcoin holds trendline support.
Ether (ETH), the world’s second-largest cryptocurrency by market value, was trading up 2% over the last 24 hours alongside other altcoins. Ether has significantly outperformed bitcoin over the past couple of months, with its market share of the total cryptocurrency market rising above 20% seven days ago.
Among altcoin movers this morning, Cosmo’s ATOM was up 3.7%, unes sed eo (LEO) was ahead 3.5% and quant network (QNT) was higher by 3%.
Data from Arcane Research shows the current bear market is tracking the 2018 bear market.
Bitcoin’s drawdown this time around has lasted for 286 days (nine to 10 months) so far, according to the team at Arcane, and the crypto’s market cap is now down 70% from its all-time high hit in November 2021.
In the 2018 bear market (and in 2014 as well), bottoms occurred 12-13 months after the bear markets began, with maximum drawdowns of 84%-85%, said Arcane, noting that similar timing this time around would mean a bottom forming near the end of this year.
Another similarity to 2018, said Arcane, is a prolonged duration of compressed volatility.
Back then, bitcoin saw a 140-day period with prices in the $6,000-$7,000 range before a final selling climax down towards $3,000, with prices residing in that area for another 120 days. “Similar tendencies are evident today,” noted Arcane, “with prices having ranged in the lower $20,000 area for 70 days.”
“Still, the market is a different beast this time around,” concluded Arcane, likely referring to the far more developed and important cryptocurrency markets today versus past cycles.
In the news, the liquidators of Three Arrows Capital (3AC) secured a crucial court decision in Singapore, which will give them the ability to probe the local assets of the defunct crypto hedge fund, Bloomberg reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
Michelle Bond – one of the most prominent cryptocurrency advocates in this year’s U.S. congressional races – lost her bid to be the Republican candidate for her New York district.
And finally, Latin American crypto company Ripio has started rolling out a prepaid debit card in Brazil that allows payments to be made in cryptocurrency and earns cashback rewards in bitcoin.
|Terra||LUNA||+4.5%||Smart Contract Platform|
|Cosmos||ATOM||+3.2%||Smart Contract Platform|
Exchange Giant CME’s Bitcoin Futures Just Hit a Huge Discount to Spot Prices
Bitcoin (BTC) futures at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, one of the world’s biggest derivatives markets, just traded at the largest discount to spot prices in at least 2 1/2 years after a big market plunge and right before August contracts expire.
Arcane Research keeps tabs on the average difference between CME’s front-month bitcoin futures – those expiring soonest – and the current market price for bitcoin itself for rolling one-month periods. On Monday, that showed front-month futures at a 3.36% discount. That’s a record low in the firm’s dataset that goes back to Jan. 1, 2020 – though CME bitcoin futures have been trading since December 2017.
That surpassed the previous low of minus 2.39% set on July 21, 2021, which was followed by a hefty short squeeze, according to Arcane.
CME futures have traded at a discount over the last two months but witnessed a short-lived recovery at the start of the month when there was some momentum in the market. Early in August, bitcoin briefly reached $25,000. But it sank below $21,000 on Aug. 19.
“The growing discounts in the front-month contracts might be explained in part by structural effects,” Vetle Lunde, an analyst at Arcane Research, said in a report.
The report said the ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF (BITO) has begun rolling its August contracts into contracts that expire later, possibly causing downward pressure on the front-month contracts. Monday, BITO rolled over 1,000 August contracts and will roll over a further 3,000 August contracts by Friday. Previous times when the exchange-traded fund rolled over exposures, front-month contracts have tended to move toward discounts to spot, according to Arcane.
“Still, such extreme discounts have not appeared during previous rolling periods,” Lunde said. “They might be a symptom of worsening liquidity or general de-risking as S&P 500 and Nasdaq see a tumultuous start to the week while the dollar strength index pushes towards new highs.”
Chart of the Day
Bitcoin Holds Trendline Support
By Omkar Godbole
- The trendline rising from July 18 and July 13 lows is offering support to bitcoin.
- A breakdown would expose the July low of $17,567 (Coinbase prices).
- Friday's bearish marubozu candle suggests the path of least resistance is to the downside.
- The bearish marubozu candle comprises big body and little-to-no wicks, indicating seller dominance.
- Tron Consumes 99.9% Less Power Than Bitcoin and Ethereum, Crypto Researcher Says: The network consumed power equivalent to fifteen U.S. households in a year, the report said.
- Ethereum Proof-of-Work Forks: Gift or Grift?: Ethereum will soon transition to a more energy-efficient system for processing transactions, but prominent crypto personalities are hell-bent on keeping the proof-of-work version of the chain alive.
- China's Ant Group to Work With Malaysian Investment Bank Kenanga on Crypto 'SuperApp:' Malaysia's largest independent investment bank will introduce an app that includes crypto trading and portfolio management.
- YouTuber vs. YouTuber: BitBoy Crypto Sues Atozy for Defamation: Ben Armstrong, known as BitBoy Crypto on YouTube, says he sustained damages in excess of $75,000.
- Crypto Prices Are Fanned by Flawed Economics and Conspiracy Theories; CBDCs Are Immune: Bank of Finland Governor: While making a case for digital euro, Bank of Finland Governor Olli Rehn said that central bank digital currencies won't be subject to price volatility of private cryptos.
- Singapore High Court Recognizes Three Arrows Capital Liquidation Order, Bloomberg Reports: The decision will provide Three Arrow's liquidator, Teneo, the ability to probe assets held in Singapore.
- Uniswap Community Behind DEX Establishes Foundation to Support Open-Source Development: "There's no organization within the Uniswap ecosystem focused on reducing the friction in governance, and that is one area that the foundation will be focused on,” said Devin Walsh, the community member who authored the initial proposal.
- Crypto Booster Bond Loses Primary Bid for New York Congressional Seat: Michelle Bond relied on crypto industry backing, including from boyfriend Ryan Salame of FTX Digital Markets, but didn’t push the crypto cause in race.